Parking & Transportation
New Commuter Rail Flex Pass and New Union Square Opening:
- The MBTA continues to offer a 5-day Flex Pass on the Commuter Rail. This pass program is being considered as a permanent program. If approved, the permanent 5-Day Flex Pass would go into effect July 1, 2022, or sooner.
- The Flex Pass is good for five round trip tickets that don’t have to be used on consecutive days. It is only available on the mTicket app, and will be 10% cheaper than buying five round trip tickets on separate days. The pass is good for thirty days after purchase.
- The Green D line station at Union Square in Somerville will open on March 21st. This station will benefit commutes from the Somerville area, as employees will be able to take a one-seat ride from the Union Square area to Longwood Station via the Green D Line.
If you want more information on the GLX project, you can go to https://www.mbta.com/projects/green-line-extension-glx.
Update on MBTA Service: The MBTA will continue to adapt to new rider travel patterns and accommodate riders who are returning in-person to work or school. To see the latest changes, visit https://www.mbta.com/service-changes/spring-2022-service-changes.
- MASCO shuttles will continue to monitor ridership demand and adjust schedules accordingly. Masks are still required for passengers and drivers while on MASCO vehicles.. See latest schedule information here: https://www.masco.org/shuttle-schedules
- Please let us know your experience on these routes by completing this comment card https://www.masco.org/moving-around-the-lma/mbta-service-feedback.
HMS FY23 Monthly Parking Options and Rates: all HLC rates and programs shown below are intended for Harvard employees. Vendors and Contractors should reach out to the HMS Parking Office to inquire about HLC parking options.
HLC monthly parking permit rates will increase on July 1, 2022.
Monthly parking options are as follows:
- Monthly Permit: 24/7 monthly permit holders can access their assigned garage or space 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- Parkers may start or cancel their parking on the 1st or 15th day of the month with a 15 day notice emailed to email@example.com.
- The reduced parking day option is offered only in an available parking garage. The option is not available in surface parking lots.
- 4-day Permit: 4 days of parking per week
- 3-day Permit: 3 days of parking per week
- 2-day Permit: 2 days of parking per week
Currently 2-day, 3-day and 4-day parking options are programmed for specific days of the week on parkers’ IDs. Please contact the HMS Commuter Service and Parking Office to program alternative days.
If you select one of these monthly options, we strongly recommend using payroll deduction. This will allow you to reduce the cost of your permit by up to 35 percent because the cost will be subtracted from your gross earnings before taxes are applied. The pre-tax limit for 2022 is $280.00 per month.
Monthly parkers who cancelled their monthly parking permit during the pandemic will need to renew their monthly permit or choose a more flexible permit option before returning to campus. The deadline for renewing without losing pre-pandemic garage/lot assignment is September 1, 2022.
Carpool Parking Option: The Harvard Longwood Campus offers a discounted carpool program to HLC employees commuting together Monday through Friday purchasing the five days parking option.
- All participants must be Harvard benefit-eligible employees.
- Two Harvard employees carpooling together will receive 25 percent off the total annual parking fee.
- Three to four Harvard employees carpooling together will receive 50 percent off the total annual parking fee.
- Payment for all participants must be made through Harvard payroll deduction.
- Carpool parking may begin on the 1st of any month. A 14 day email cancellation notice is required. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each participant is eligible to register for the Emergency Ride Home program offered through MASCO.
Each registered carpooler will receive one free day pass per month to park in their respective garage
- Annual After-hour Permit:
- The after-hour parker’s Harvard ID is valid at an assigned garage between 5 p.m. and 5 a.m. Monday through Friday and all day on weekends and Harvard holidays. FY23 annual rate is $178.00.
Monthly and After-hour Parking Rates:
FY21 DAILY RATE (pre-COVID)
FY22 MONTHLY RATE
FY23 MONTHLY RATE
$170 /annually FY20
$175 /annually FY22
$178 /annually FY23
HMS FY23 Daily Parking Options and Rates:
Daily parking options are as follows:
- Online daily parking permit: 1 full day of parking, weekdays, purchased online via debit or credit card. Quad Garage passes can be retrieved from the quad garage booth Mon - Fri between the hours of 6:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.. NRB Garage passes can be retrieved from the NRB garage booth Mon-Fri between the hours of 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m..
- Reserved daily parking pass: 1 day of parking, reserved online and billed internally via 33-digit code. Quad Garage passes can be retrieved from the quad garage booth Mon – Fri between the hours of 6:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.. NRB Garage passes can be retrieved from the NRB garage booth Mon-Fri between the hours of 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
- On-campus Afternoon Parking (Weekdays from 2 p.m. until Midnight) in the NRB or Quad garage. Parkers must go online to the HU Daily Parking Permit System to purchase their daily permit. Choose the location noting HU NRB or Quad Garage option specific to after 2:00 p.m., $10.00 weekday rate. Passes can be retrieved from the garage booth Mon – Fri between the hours of 2:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m.
FY20 DAILY RATE (pre-COVID)
FY21/FY22 DAILY RATE (through March 31, 2022)
FY22 PROPOSED RATE (beginning April 1, 2022)
Online Daily Parking Permit (Credit/Debit Card)
Reserved Daily Parking Pass (33-Digit Code)
Online Afternoon Parking (M-F, 2pm-Midnight)
- For parking related questions please contact the HMS Commuter Services and Parking Office