Parking & Transportation
New Commuter Rail Flex Pass and Ruggles Station Re-opening:
- The MBTA continues to offer a 5-day Flex Pass on the Commuter Rail. The pass will remain available until 90 days after MA state of emergency expires, which ended Tuesday June 15th.
- The Flex Pass is good for five round trip tickets that don’t have to be used on consecutive days. It is only available on the mTicket app, and will be 10% cheaper than buying five round trip tickets on separate days. The pass is good for thirty days after purchase.
- Ruggles Station has re-opened, with a new commuter rail platform allowing an increase in commuter rail trains stopping at Ruggles Station. All inbound trains on the Providence/Stoughton, Needham, and Franklin lines will now stop at Ruggles (rather than backtracking to South Station or Back Bay stations).
Update on MBTA Bus and Silver Line Service Serving the LMA:
- The MBTA will begin adding more service starting June 20th, 2021. Learn more about summer service changes.
- These routes run with reduced service: 10, 11, 21, 29, 31, 39, 47, 61, 71, 73, 77, 89, 93, 96, 101, 112, 134, 220, 222, 225, 501, 504.
- These routes are suspended: 18, 52, 55, 68, 79, 212, 221, 465, 710.
- MASCO shuttles have been operating at a reduced frequency, but will increase capacities on the shuttles from 25 & 10 (bus & van) to 35 & 12 effective Tuesday, July 6th.
- Please refer to the MASCO website for details on mask wearing, cleaning and disinfecting protocols, physical distancing measures and other advisories.
- Please let us know your experience on these routes by completing this comment card https://www.masco.org/moving-around-the-lma/mbta-service-feedback.
HMS FY22 Monthly Parking Options and Rates:
In alignment with the Harvard University parking permit program, HMS will increase its monthly parking permit rates on September 1, 2021, in accordance with our regulatory agreements with the City of Boston. Please note that HMS’ monthly parking rates remained flat in FY21 at the existing FY20 rates. The FY22 rates are at the rates they would have been in FY21 had there not been a pandemic.
Monthly parking options are as follows:
- Monthly Permit: 24/7 monthly permit holders can access their assigned garage or space 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
- The reduced parking day option is offered only in an available parking garage. The option is not available in surface parking lots.
- 4-day Permit: 4 days of parking per week
- 3-day Permit: 3 days of parking per week
- 2-day Permit: 2 days of parking per week
Currently 2-day, 3-day and 4-day parking options are programmed for specific days of the week on parkers’ IDs. Please contact the HMS Commuter Service and Parking Office to program alternative days.
If you select one of these monthly options, we strongly recommend using payroll deduction. This will allow you to reduce the cost of your permit by up to 35 percent because the cost will be subtracted from your gross earnings before taxes are applied. The pre-tax limit for 2021 is $270.00 per month.
Monthly parkers who cancelled their monthly parking permit during the pandemic will need to renew their monthly permit or choose a more flexible permit option before returning to campus. The deadline for renewing without losing pre-pandemic garage/lot assignment is September 1, 2021.
Carpool Parking Option: The Harvard Longwood Campus offers a discounted carpool program to Harvard employees commuting together Monday through Friday purchasing the five days parking option.
- All participants must be Harvard benefit-eligible employees.
- Two Harvard employees carpooling together will receive 25 percent off the total annual parking fee.
- Three to four Harvard employees carpooling together will receive 50 percent off the total annual parking fee.
- Payment for all participants must be made through Harvard payroll deduction.
- Each participant is eligible to register for the Emergency Ride Home program offered through MASCO.
Each registered carpooler will receive one free day pass per month to park in their respective garage
- Annual After-hour Permit:
- The after-hour parker’s Harvard ID is valid at an assigned garage between 5 p.m. and 5 a.m. Monday through Friday and all day on weekends and Harvard holidays. FY22 annual rate is $175.00.
Monthly and After-hour Parking Rates:
FY20 DAILY RATE (pre-COVID)
FY21 MONTHLY RATE (through August 2021)
FY22 MONTHLY RATE (September 2021)
$170 /annually FY20
$170 /annually FY21
$175 /annually FY22
HMS FY22 Daily Parking Options and Rates:
Daily parking options are as follows:
- Online daily parking permit: 1 full day of parking, weekdays, purchased online via debit or credit card. Passes can be retrieved from the garage booth Mon - Fri between the hours of 6:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
- Reserved daily parking pass: 1 day of parking, reserved online and billed internally via 33-digit code. Passes can be retrieved from the garage booth Mon – Fri between the hours of 6:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
- On-campus Afternoon Parking (Weekdays from 2 p.m. until Midnight) in the NRB or Quad garage. Parkers must go online to the HU Daily Parking Permit System to purchase their daily permit. Choose the location noting HU NRB or Quad Garage option specific to after 2:00 p.m., $10.00 weekday rate. Passes can be retrieved from the garage booth Mon – Fri between the hours of 2:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m.
FY20 DAILY RATE (pre-COVID)
FY21 DAILY RATE (through December 2021)
FY22 PROPOSED RATE (January 2022)
Online Daily Parking Permit (Credit/Debit Card)
Reserved Daily Parking Pass (33-Digit Code)
Online Afternoon Parking (M-F, 2pm-Midnight)
Existing Temporary Parking Option-available through June 30, 2021:
- Daily Parking at Van Ness Garage
- A $10 per day discounted parking rate (normally $38 per day) has been arranged for HMS/HSDM/HSPH faculty, staff and students through June 2021 at the Van Ness Parking Garage.
- The Van Ness Parking Garage is easily accessible to and from the HLC campus. Parkers will have the option of walking or taking one of three MASCO-operated shuttles. The Landmark, Fenway and M2 shuttles make frequent stops along Brookline Avenue on their return (Southbound) to the Longwood Medical Area. For shuttle stops and schedules, please visit the MASCO Shuttle website and use the TransLoc for real-time shuttle locations.
- Details about accessing the Van Ness Garage:
- The entrance to the garage is located at 61 Richard B Ross Way.
- Pull a ticket from the ticket dispenser upon entering the garage.
- Retain the dispensed parking ticket and bring it to campus.
- Upon checking in with HMS Security (located at G/E link, C/E link, or the NRB Security Desk), show the security officer your Van Ness Garage parking ticket.
- The security officer will then issue a Van Ness Garage chaser ticket.
- When returning to the garage, use the pedestrian accesses located on Kilmarnock or on Boylston Street (via Target when store open).
- When driving up to the exit gate at the garage, insert the dispensed parking ticket, then scan the chaser ticket. The rate will automatically reduce to $10.
- The chaser ticket expires after 12 hours. Normal rates will apply after 12 hours.
- Present your method of payment for the $10 parking fee.
- Possible extension of this reduced rate beyond June is dependent on capacity demands in the garage. Any possible extension will be communicated.
- Additional parking options may be available through your departments. Please contact your department administrator for more information.
- For parking related questions please contact the HMS Commuter Services and Parking Office